May 13, 2011

Ella, the one-time wonder


A few months ago, Ella said the most incredible prayer that we've heard come out of an almost-3-year-old. She included just about everything she's ever heard me or Erik pray about. It was like a 2 minute prayer! Every prayer after that has been a more typical Ella prayer, which consists of basically 2 things: that daddy comes home safely and that Ethan is chubby.


Ella has a very flitty, wacky personality. She has been extremely resistant to any sort of academic teaching that I have offered. She knows how to spell her name, but sometimes she likes to throw a "K" in there. I've shown her many, many times what her name looks like and how to write it, but I've never seen her write anything more than an "E" that looks like a caterpillar. One day, the girls were writing on the driveway with chalk. When I came outside I checked out their drawings and saw Avery's name and Ella's name. I asked Avery if she had written Ella's name because it's been ages since she's written an "E" with more than 3 lines across. She said, "No, Ella wrote it." I said, "Ella wrote it?! Ella, did you write your name?" Ella: "yeah." And off she ran like it was no big deal. I couldn't believe it. She amazes me. Ella has yet to write her name again, but at least I know she CAN do it. She soaks up everything presented to her, and then proves she is capable, and then doesn't care to do it again.

4 comments:

Jody said...

Ella,Grammy loves you and I think you are sooooo smart. I really liked the way you wrote your name with chalk on the driveway!!!! You are a beautiful flitting buterfly! Hugs and Kisses

Emily said...

Oh Ella, you crack me up!! I love that she is who she wants to be and nobody can tell her otherwise!! Silly girl!

Amber said...

She is so funny! I wish we could be closer for all this growing up!

Mandy said...

Way to go superstar!!! Ella you did such a great job writing your name on the driveway. Love seeing new pictures of you. love aunt mandy