July 19, 2010

sailing

The girls and I drove down to Rhode Island on Wednesday to see my parents. They will be here for a total of three weeks for their annual sailing adventure. The boat wasn't completely ready to set sail until Saturday, so we spent a few days and nights on the boat at the dock. The kids had fun just walking around the boat and the dock and didn't start to get really bored until Friday. Their favorite things that they got to do were riding in the little row boat, fishing, and of course finally getting to sail.



I'm so glad they didn't mind wearing their life jackets.


Helping Halmony take back the wheel barrow. They use this when they have a lot of things to bring onto the boat.
Their helping very quickly turned into Halmony giving them a ride.
checking out the crabs along the dock
boredom setting in as Gappo works on another thing

Halmony and Gappo took them out in the little boat to cheer them up, and it sure worked.


Finally, we're off!

Erik met up with us Friday night after work so that we could leave right away Saturday morning.








We rowed out from the sail boat to the little island in the picture below. That's my mom standing at the edge of the beach.



To get to the island, we sailed for over 2 hours and eventually got to the other side of that huge bridge in the background.
Avery is our little fish. She is always ready to swim in any body of water.

Going back. It's a long story. Things didn't go as planned and it took about 3 hours to get to the dock. There were a lot of choppy waves, and I was sea sick the entire time. The good thing is that Ella slept almost the whole way back.

The girls liked to put on Halmony's many hats and say, "Look, I'm Halmony, I'm Halmony."

We had a great time (minus the sea sickness), but I think next time I'll send the kids off to sail without me.
Enjoy the rest of your time sailing Mom and Dad!

5 comments:

Trevlyn said...

Holy cow! You guys have the best adventures! :) What fun!

Caitlin and Jared said...

How fun (besides the sea sickness)! Have a great trip--we will be glad to see you when you get back!

Courtney said...

So awesome! I hate getting sea sick too. The girls look like they loved it!

Mandy said...

How fun for the girls to get to go on a sail boat. I'm with you I think I would be sick also. Yuck!!!

Erin said...

Sailing???!!! That's the perfect summer adventure. Great pictures as usual. I'm jealous that this is a tradition in your life! How wonderful.