June 19, 2010

Joseph Smith Birthplace Memorial

Last Saturday we made the 2 1/2 hour drive up to Vermont to see where the Prophet Joseph Smith was born. It was a very sacred, beautiful place where the Spirit was easy to be felt. In the visitors center, we saw an amazing video on the Prophet. I should have known it was a tear-jerker when I saw the tissue boxes sitting on the chairs' armrests.

We caravanned with our good friends - this made all the kids very happy. We planned to have a picnic lunch when we got there, but since it was raining, we had to improvise.




Avery is modeling the hearthstone in the picture below.




In front of the Birthplace Memorial. It was made from one single piece of granite.
The picture below shows the memorial in its entirety.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip! Syl ~ YOU ARE GORGEOUS!!! Seriously, I looked at the family photo a few times because you are beautiful! Do you still have your braces on?? I couldn't tell. I quit my job 2 wks ago and now work for an orthodontist!! It's a lot of work, but I love it! Can't wait to see y'all SO SOON!!!! XOXOXO, Mimi

PS: Isn't that great news about Ben??? Yeah, I'm so excited. You will love Amber too. And there's no reason to be afraid of her like Erik made you feel about me. She's great, just like YOU!!

Jody said...

I love the family trips you all do together. I too someday will visit all the church sites also. I love and miss your little bunch! Hugs Grammy

Baby Boomer Grammy said...

When I saw these photos of your sweet family at the Joseph Smith memorial, I was very touched and felt so grateful that I persisted in inviting your dad, who was a teenager at the time, to church. It took about a half a summer of invitations, til he came to church with me-- the missionaries befriended him right away, and the rest is history -- and look at the beautiful results.